Editing (Copy Editing, Line Editing, Substantive Editing, Sensitivity Reading,)
Research and Fact-Checking
To contract me for any of the services below, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Specific service requested
- Length of manuscript/project
- Type of manuscript/project
- Ideal turnaround time
- Other information that seems important
All prices are in USD.
Requests for free sensitivity reads or edits out of nowhere will be deleted; however, if I know you, I’m willing to negotiate trade edits on manuscripts of roughly the same size. I’m all about writers helping writers! For long projects (100+ pages), send me a 3-page preview and I’ll do an in-depth sample edit of those 3 pages so you can get a sense of my style.
I’ll take on most projects that sound interesting, but I’m at my best with the following types of short stories and novels:
- Psychological, spiritual or existential horror
- Splatterpunk, body horror, etc. (I’m not interested in exploitation work. Know the difference.)
- Urban and mythic fantasy
- Poetic inspiration, “purple” prose, bizarre narratives, switching timelines
- Queer romance, especially the messier and stranger kinds; polyamory, breakups, mutual coping, queerplatonic partners, etc.
- “Soft” sci-fi
- Mythic retellings, especially queer, disabled, POC, feminist or otherwise narrative-adjusting ones
Please don’t query me for:
- Romance with no representation. Romance is a hard sell for me a lot of the time anyway, and I don’t have much to add unless you want a sensitivity read for something.
- Actively racist, ableist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, etc. work. I – Why would you query me for this in the first place?
- The third or fourth book in a series if you won’t let me read the first few.
- Murder mysteries.
- Anything about cis heterosexual men getting very drunk and smoking a lot.
Copy editing ($2/page or for every 500-550 words): Includes proofreading, checking for typos, grammar edits, basic flow and formatting.
Line editing ($2.20/page or for every 500-550 words): Focuses on language use, sentence structure, communication of thoughts, etc.
Substantive and stylistic editing ($2.50/page or every 500-550 words): Includes paragraph structure, word choice, organization and voice.
Sensitivity reading (1.50/page or every 500-550 words): I am qualified to read for:
- deaf/Deaf/HoH characters and issues
- transmasculine and non-binary characters
- chronically ill characters, developmental disorders (mostly autism)
- mental illnesses including but not limited to PTSD, C-PTSD, Cluster B personality disorders (BPD, NPD, HPD, etc.) anxiety and depression
- abuse and abuse survivor characters of all kinds.
- asexual, aromantic and aroace characters and themes
NB: Page count versus word count
If your manuscript is in a standard font (Calibri, Times New Roman, Georgia, etc. at 11-12 pt font) then I count by page. This keeps the math a little more predictable and easier to tally up at the end sans decimal points.
However, if you give me a manuscript in 8 pt font, written in Monotype Corsiva, or with the tiniest margins possible in order to wrangle the cheapest price possible – I’ll be counting words. In a standard font, a page is 500-550 words. Similarly, if you’re playing around with formatting or type in a larger font for accessibility reasons, you won’t be forced into paying more.
Fact-Checking and Research
You need to know more about a topic for your novel but you don’t know where to start – or, you already wrote about a topic but you want somebody with the background in the topic to look it over. That’s where fact-checking and research comes in! I charge hourly to cover how time-consuming research can be, but you can always set a cap and I’ll keep you updated.
Includes reading a manuscript after-the-fact, isolating factual errors, researching and suggesting minor changes. All research will be compiled into an accessible bibliography for continued reference.
Doing research on a given topic to a certain amount of specificity. All research will be compiled into an annotated, accessible bibliography that can then be used for your writing. Ex: “I am writing a book about the queer community in Ottawa in the 1990s and my cap is 100 dollars.” I will then do as much research on that community as possible in 6 hours, put my sources into a document, annotate each of them with important notes and deliver it to you.
I offer fact-checking and research for the following topics; query me about possible others and I’ll see what I can do.
- Mental illness and mental illness history, with a specialization in personality disorders
- Ancient Greek and Roman history, mythology and literature, with a specialization in the Ancient Bronze Age and Trojan War.
- European mythology, with a specialization in fairy tale and Arthurian legend
- Christian and Jewish history, with a specialization in Biblical archaeology
- General archaeological practice
- Queer history, with a specialization in North America (NB: I am equipped to research this for Great Britain, Ireland and Australasia, but other sources should be consulted for Asian and African countries due to language barriers.)
(What’s the difference between fact-checking and sensitivity reading? Sensitivity reading is about impression and emotion; you want me to feel good about your story, and it focuses on me as a marginalized editor. Fact-checking, on the other hand, is much more about the solid facts of history. Often the two will overlap, but one I will pull from my own history and the other I’ll find articles stating what I need.)
For prose work, I charge $12 USD per 1000 words, and will write just about anything except pure romance. Please query for a full list of will and won’ts – my availability for established settings varies – but I’m open to queries pretty much always.
For poetry, I charge about $10-20 USD per poem, depending on format. Again, a query will help me get more information.